Monday, November 5, 2007

Flickr-ing, flick, flick, flick

As an online photo book this seems cool enough. It wasn't too hard to set up, although I had to do yet another set of getting username/password stuff because (of course) Flickr is a Yahoo product instead of a Google product. It really is kind of getting ridiculous how many "accounts" a person must (well, to participate...I'm still not convinced of the necessity of any of this--computers in general, not just the 2.0 generation of gadgets) have to navigate through it all.

So, despite the ongoing trauma of finding unused usernames in cyberspace...I have a Flickr account. I found it a bit annoying that it didn't seem to put the pictures in the order I uploaded them, but once I made them a set and titled them with numbers in the order taken (argh!!) ...they can be viewed in order. If you follow the link, then click on the set (right hand side) "kayak", then click "view as a slideshow"....then you can see a series of pictures from the kit in the box to the actual boat on the water launch.

The whole flickr site seems a bit awkward. If you try to explore via the map, it's kinda clunky and slow (real estate site maps work faster). I know pictures are a lot of data, but the map page has all these extra boxes actually blocking part of the map and when you hit the arrows to look at a different part of the map it jumps way too far. The random "interesting" pictures might be fun and searching for some kind of specific image could be useful.

The site seems to be pretty good about reminding you of privacy issues and it appears that people put up everything from beautiful art quality photos to the pictures of the drunk friend hovering over a toilet (I couldn't tell you exactly where I saw that one, but I bet if you searched there would be no shortage of similar pictures). I had no interest in joining a "group" or "inviting" friends. I even scoffed at some of the language about building relationships...if people didn't spend so much time plugged into the various screens in our lives, maybe they could maintain the real relationships instead of having to quest for strangers online.

I mean, how many of us get to spend as much time as we would like to with our friends and family (or pets, or alone for that matter)? We're so busy working, commuting, running errands, maintaining our households and lives that we don't even know ourselves. Is a bunch of strangers who take similar pictures the only solution? I think it can be good for people to find those with similar interests online, but can't we at least try the real people in our general vicinity first?

OK, enough ranting. I'm not including any amusing picture with this post, so you'll have to look at my kayak pics for visual stimulation, I've played with pictures enough for today. I'm going back to the hole and hide for awhile.

2 comments:

krl2pt0 said...

wow -- what a labor of love. your flickr slideshow was truly impressive. it must be an incredible feeling to be out on the water, knowing each step, and touch that went into getting you there.

bc

Constance said...

I'm really with you on the account thing. I hope I don't have to think up too many MORE passwords and usernames to finish this class--not to mention keeping track of them all. Thanks for the thoughts on the Flickr site. I agree. It's kind of slow and clunky, and what happens to these photos sitting out there on Flickr? Will they go away some day? (Make backups is all I have to say.) As for meeting people through flickr and photosharing, well for me, it's not gonna happen. But for us shy types the blog thing has been kind of fun for getting to know people that I actually WORK with and have never really talked to. So much for me actually talking to people in my general vicinity.